Monday, 28 August 2006

the universal truth

I love Motherhood is not for wimps. I read it frequently and laugh a lot. And recently as Elizabeth's posts have taken on a more serious edge, I've appreciated her honesty and skill in capturing the kinds of dilemma parents face all the time, especially as life is in transition and the things we took for granted start to slip away.

But my god when I read this I had to share. With just a few substitutions this could be a monologue spoken by Amy. I'm afraid I fail to meet Elizabeth's standard of patience and compassion, more often than not I am driven to distraction by the constant stream of chatter and questions. I've been known to yell and even beg for a little 'quiet time', but when Amy yells back "but I don't know how!" my heart melts in sympathy. I vividly recall being in her shoes as a kid, completely unable to understand (a) why everyone wanted me to shut up and (b) what you'd be doing if you weren't talking...

4 comments:

Alison said...

Hey I have a great good idea. Hey I have a great good idea. Hey I have a great good idea. Excuse me mummy. Excuse me mummy. Mummy I want -. Mummy, I want -. Hey I have a great good idea. Mummy it's my turn to talk. (yes, it's always your turn to talk). And the best one: You've hurt my feelings.
The truth is somedays I have patience and other days I don't. And that's ok.

sooz said...

Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? Wow, yours is trained! Our best one? Mummy I'm really sad at you! Right now you're lucky to get patience from me even if you're an adult with good manners. But then I'm pregnant AND sick so I get out of jail free. For now...

Fiona said...

Oh lordy, that is so, so familiar. "I know! I've got a GREAT idea!" is a constant refrain around here, too. I love hearing what she's got to say, but after the zillionth great idea/request/"Mummy, I'm X and you're Y" that hour, my patience waxes and wanes as well. We are only human, after all.

rahne said...

hey suzie, just found ur blog! ha ha congratulations on the new bebe to be btw. Luci said something funny the other day, she was trying to look at my nipples. I said "No" and she answered, "Why not? Have they gone to the shops to get some more milk?" lol