Sunday, 9 July 2006

the recipe

Walnut caramel slice

Base

125gm butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp custard powder
pinch salt


Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add yolk and mix well. Add sifted flours, custard powder and salt and mix to form a firm dough (I do the lot in the food processor. I'm lazy.)
Press mixture into a lightly greased 18x28cm (11x7inch) slice tin and bake at 180oC for 15 mins or until golden brown.

Topping

1/2 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
90gm butter
125gm of unsalted walnuts (or peanuts or pecans or macadamias)

Heat sugar, syrup and butter over a low heat in a small pan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour mix over hot base and return to oven for 5 mins. Cool in tin then cut into squares.

7 comments:

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
krista said...

aaaah I ws hanging out for that :)
Thank you! will try this week!

Sarah said...

WOWZA - thank you so much for the recipe!!!

Ash said...

Thank you! Now I can make some and look at it longingly while everyone else munches it! Well, I can have a little bit, which is good, as the rest will be munched in double time!

LoriLaurieLauri said...

Oooooooooohhhhhh mmmaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn!



That's it...that's all I can say...

suzy said...

That looks delicious. I will have to try and track down some custard powder at an international supermarket and give it a go!

Lisa said...

Oh my, that looks delightful! Could you tell me if they're a substitute for custard powder?? What IS this stuff??