Monday, 8 May 2006

what I (re) learned

1. I love the rural landscapes of Australia and I want to spend more time in them. It is a real struggle to divide my time between crafting indoors and exploring outside and though I love all the things I did whilst I was away, I wish I'd spent more time in the fresh air.
2. Sometimes deciding what to do is the hardest part of crafting. Especially when you are surrounded by talented women doing all kinds of different things. There's so much to learn from working with others. And not just crafting skills or being humbled by other people's talents. There's the amazing reservoirs people have of patience and generosity and trust and warmth and humour. Especially humour.3. People make some amazing stuff (and I don't always take such great photos).
4. If you go away with a bunch of women there's bound to be too much good food, plenty of wine and lots of cups of tea. And not nearly enough sleep. As Cath said to me at 8am in bed through bleary half-open eyes (after a 1am bedtime), "we've already wasted hours of crafting time!"
5. If you are going to leave a little girl at home you had better bring back some new clothes for her.

6. And get some work done.

7. And make something for yourself, preferably something you've never tried before like a bottle top pincushion. Even better if you get to challenge your inner hoarder by making a dent in the stash of fabulous 60's fabric samples and stop the loss of yet more knitting needles with a new needle roll. 8. Nothing raises your tolerance to life's daily frustrations and stress than a break from it. I vow to take a crafting holiday at least 3 times a year, preferably with a group and in a fabulous location. And because I'm really serious about this I'm going to start organising the next one RIGHT NOW. I'm starting an email list for people who are interested so email me if you want to be on it. I figure the next one will be in September, but it's going to be an ongoing thing so email me even if September may not work for you.

9. I need to worry less about what I produce and focus more on what I enjoy.

10. I am one lucky chick and I'd be a happier person if I remembered that more often.

To Cath, Lauren, Sandra, Suzie G, Debi, Roch, Maria and Jody I thank you. You are wonderful, talented, inspirational and oh so much fun. I had a fantastic time and I hope you're as keen to make it back in September as I am.

And now I gotta go unpack. And get the buttons to finish off the pinafore I made for Amy...

5 comments:

nichola said...

Looks like you girls had such a great time. Hmm, September is the next one you say? I wonder if i could manage to escape for a weekend.

Kristy said...

Some lovely work there!Great idea for a crafting holiday:)

Ali said...

Oh your break looks wonderful - no wonder you feel rejuvenated. Ans so productive too. I love the fabric on your needle roll - it reminds me of olives - yum.

melissa said...

hello, I've just a great time looking at your blog for the first time- the things you make are wonderful, and I'm super-jealous of your recent crafting weekend- looks amazing! If only Melbourne was a bit closer...

simmyb said...

What a lovely idea to go away with a bunch of crafting friends, chill out, chat and make. Were they people you knew already? I have sewing mornings at my house in the autumn term and it's lovely but the 3 hours go too quickly and someone always has a child in tow. A crafting w/end is probably the ideal. Would you mind sharing some info like what you needed to pay for, did people bring their own projects and what about the food?