Wednesday, 10 May 2006

hats for sale

I had that book (hats for sale! hats for sale!) as a kid, and gee I loved it. Did you?

But this is not a post about books, it's a post about hats. More specifically my inexplicable obsession for knitting them. I just love it! I'm playing with the pattern each time, just to keep me on my toes.

This one is on 6mm needles (up from my usual 5), so I took the stitches down to 78. It's a bit bigger as a result, but also has more stretch. I did a rolled brim and a smaller nobble on the top, and reduced in 8s, instead of 6s and using slip stiches passed over, instead of knitted together stitches. An altogether different hat, but I really love it.

But I have run out of heads! So I've decided I need to put it up for sale. I've debated for a while about how to deal with some of my crafting excesses. I don't want to stock these in the shop as a regular thing - I can't imagine how hard it could become to keep up with demand for a million knitted hats! I feel the same way about the zoo puzzle I made a while back, which I love but which was so excessively time-consuming I am not sure I could ever make another. But like a few other things I've made, I'd like to find them good homes and pay back some of my costs.

So I've added a new shopping cart to my shop that just has one-off creations. It's a place I can show the prototypes and the things I've just made too many of. I'll post here when new stuff goes in - and I hope they sell quick so I feel totally justified in making mroe stuff ;-)

5 comments:

krista said...

I haven't had a chance, though I've wanted to comment on your last post, it was really great. We're getting a Japanese exchange student in July and I know from experience the contrast between life-styles. It's amazing. We do take so much for granted, here in Canada (as well in Oz) we have so much SPACE to roam.
Anyway, I love the zoo puzzle and the hat. You're doing great!

Caitlin said...

"you monkeys give me back my hats!" "Eee eee ee eee ee ee ee ee!"
("Caps for Sale" by Esphyr Slobodkina, as read frequently on Playschool and obviously part of our cultural literacy, LOL!)

African Kelli said...

That little box of animals is nothing short of amazing!

bugheart said...

wow...
what an amazing
box of animals!
what fun!

Bianca said...

Wow that box of animals is amazing, you are very talented Sooz. Did you make the pattern up yourself? I would love to have a go at something like that, I am working on a felt counting book for my nephew at the moment and this would go with it so well.