Thursday, 11 May 2006

cake o'clock

I was in two minds about posting a picture of this - it looks totally ordinary. But as I was tucking into my second piece for morning tea (oops) I was thinking how damn good this cake is.


I haven't made it for a while because (embarassing admission coming up) when I read the recipe I think, nah, that's too healthy. I want something really nice. You know with lots of butter and eggs and maybe some brown sugar or chocolate. something that makes you feel naughty just thinking about it.

And then every time I make it (like I did yesterday because I have an excessive amount of dried apricots at the moment) I remember all over again how great it tastes.

So read the recipe and think what you like, but I bet you anything that if you make it you will be pleasantly surprised. Oh and the other thing - it's really really quick and easy.

Super duper yum-o apricot and honey cake
Pre-heat your oven to 180oC/350oF. Don't use fan forced or the cake will be too dry. Grease a loaf tin.

Mix together:
125gms melted butter
185gms chopped dried apricots
3tbs honey (don't be stingy)
2/3 cup of milk
1 beaten egg

In a medium to large bowl sift:
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup self raising wholemeal flour
1/3 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp mixed spice

Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the apricot mixture and mix lightly. Put the batter in the loaf tin and bake for 50-60 mins. Leave in the tin for 5 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

11 comments:

krista said...

Hi Soozs, question for you: what on earth is "self-raising" flour? And if I can't find it here (I've heard of it, but have never looked for it...) what can I use as a substitute? Do you know?
It looks so delish! I'll have to get translating those measurements ;) ANd yes, it does sound healthy even!

moki said...

it looks delicious!

sooz said...

Hi Krista - yes, self-raising flour, forgot you don't have that. It's flour with raising agents already added - Cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda if I recall right. You could probably substitute regular flour plus baking powder, althouhg SR flour has a distinct taste from the cream of tartar, and slightly different raising properties. What do you normally use to make a cake rise? We would use SR flour for 90%+ of cakes.

bugheart said...

it looks wonderful.
i could use
another cup of tea.
even better
would be sharing
tea and cake
with you
instead of here
on this icky rainy day.

Liesl said...

Will definitely be trying that this weekend. Thanks!

African Kelli said...

Sounds delicious! And it looks pretty darn good too.

Megan said...

Hmm, might give this recipe a go. Always on the look out to get fruit into my son, even dried fruit in cakes!

sooz said...

Yeah - my daughter eats it with greater enthusiasm than chocolate cake (once she's licked off all the icing!). And she doesn't even like dried apricots! Go figure.

Bugheart - you are welcome to come to tea anytime. You pay the airfare, I'll put on the spread :-)

bugheart said...

beware...
i may just show up
at your doorstep
for tea
with my knitting!
;)

bugheart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lazy cow said...

Thanks for this recipe Soozs. I made it this afternoon (using buttermilk instead of normal milk) and it was delicious. You could always add some chopped, dark Lindt chocolate if you wanted to be decadent and vaguely healthy!