Wednesday, 26 April 2006

yo-yos

I seem to be doing a lot of rediscovery lately - especially in the kitchen. I haven't made these for many years. Most definitely a childhood thing. It tells me a lot that I have the recipe in imperial measures instead of metric! Jeepers I'm old.

I seem to recall trying to convert it once but they came out all wrong. Now I have scales that have a switch for metric or imperial so I don't need to worry. Saved by technology yet again. Thanks to David for such a wonderfully far-sighted present so many years ago.

I know some people call these (or something very like them) melting moments. We've always called them yo-yos because you are supposed to stick them together with icing and make them look like a yo-yo. But I don't see the point of ruining a perfectly good bickie with a glob of sugary icing.

These ones are quite good - a little chalky crispness on the edges with a soft cakey texture towards the centre. The secret ingredient is custard powder, and to be honest I was quite shocked to find some in the cupboard. It's probably ten years beyond its use-by date. If you never hear from me again, it was the custard powder.

6oz of butter (softened)
6oz plain flour
2oz icing sugar
2oz custard powder

Beat it all together. Feel free to use mechanical assistance. Spoon it on to trays and bake at 180oC for 10 mins. People who are neater than I roll them into smooth balls and flatten them with a fork in a particularly uniform fashion. I don't. And they still taste great!

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Mmmmm, yo yos! and I just found gluten free custard powder for the first time - talk about timely!

Fiona said...

We call them yo-yos, too. My Nanna's recipe (very similar to yours, with the custard powder!) is revered in our family. Yours look delicious! :)

The Shopping Sherpa said...

Great minds think alike.... Maybe we should start a "childhood faves" swap? ;-)