Friday, 28 April 2006

I've got friday on my mind

Took Amy to dancing class today at the wonderful creative powerhouse that is Mangala studios. You can see she dressed for the ocassion (and you can see I didn't dress up my house for the photos). We get some great looks on the tram as we travel across a couple of suburbs to get there.

She's wearing a fairy outfit I made her a while ago - the skirt has buttons and beads sewn into pockets along the hem so she jingles when she walks, and the wings are made from thin perspex covered in organza and glitter pen with a rim of ostrich feather. They seriously look like they are flapping when she walks. It's almost spooky and has freaked out more than one person who has wondered if they are mechanical!

As usual I forgot to take my camera to the dance studio which is a darn shame because as usual this week the room was an absolute wonder.

Today the kids all made spaghetti and meatballs (lengths of thin rope with wool pom-poms mixed with big wooden spoons in big bowls). Last week it was their own houses in pop-up tents, the week before 4 Buddha images and 4 elements.

It never ceases to impress me how much work these guys put into coming up with new imaginary worlds for the kids to explore each and every week. And their props are really very special too - 30 giant river rocks all smooth and peaceful, a 15 meter swath of bright blue silk for a river, a pile of the softest pure wool blankets in strong vibrant colours, 30 Indian silk sari's in all colours of the rainbow.

But I am also constantly amazed that with such an airy fairy hippy outlook the teachers are also increadibly disciplined and do not allow for any kind of bad behaviour. How do they do it? It's like magic the way the kids are so expressive and free, and yet so extraordinarily cooperative. I want to go live there if the truth be known.

And hey how would you like to get involved in a swap or two? You can swap a pack of materials in your stash, or a made item like a bag or softie. Over at use what you have swaps for May there's a bunch of swaps to choose from. Sign ups have been extended till next week because we want this to be HUGE!

The swaps from April have been AWESOME - did you see those bags I showed you yesterday? How cool were they? And the paper stuff I posted about a few days before that? Don't you want a piece of the action? And because it all comes out of your existing stash it won't cost you an arm and a leg either. So come on over and sign up to join in the fun.

7 comments:

Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

Hello Suzie ! I saw all your flickr pictures ! I'm really impressed by your work ! You're so talented ! In hope to read you soon !! Xo

Ali said...

I love the thought of you jingling your way across town to Amy's dancing class!

And thank you SO much for putting me on your links list - I'm ridiculously chuffed.

leesa said...

What a cutie Amy is! and I love the fairy outfit. The dance class sounds wonderful. We have a circus class up here that I thought I'd get Fynn into next year - how exciting!

bugheart said...

i am a sucker
for kids with wings.
can't help it-
it's the entomologist in me.
i am excited
about the
use what you have swap
but i am so scared
my swap pal
will hate what i made-
erg!

vegetarian dog food recipes said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my vegetarian dog food recipes site.
Good luck!

student credit cards said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my student credit cards site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

student credit cards said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my student credit cards site.
Good luck in your endeavors!