Thursday, 6 April 2006

dress fest

Had a productive day yesterday making this dress for Amy. She's so into dresses at the moment that I can't get her into anything else. As the weather turns colder this is something of a challenge! So I made up this simple pinafore from ribbed polar fleece to keep her warm.

Though I generally steer clear of the artificial fibres in favour of the natural cottons and wools, you just can't beat polar fleece for warmth and low maintenance - a must for a messy three year old who demands a quick turn around time in the laundry for her favourite garments!

It really made me laugh when she put her hands in the front pocket and exclaimed - "I can feel my fingertips!"

I can see a few more of these rolling off the production line! And perhaps a little jacket or jumper form the remnants...

And last night my old friend John came to dinner. He lives in England now, so it's a rare thing to lay eyes on him, though I read his blog when I get the chance. And he bought these cool finger puppets for Amy. Nothing like having dinner with Trotsky, Che, Ghandi and Mandela! Never too young to start learning about revolutionaries and what they stood for.


I made a stir fry with kangaroo meat (sorry no photos, all gone), one of those things that divides people right down the middle. Some people are horrified we eat something that appears on our national coat of arms, something so cute and cuddly. But the rest of us say its a great tasting lean and healthy meat and kangaroos aren't any more cute than a cow or pig. Have you eaten it? Do you like it?

And for dessert a delicious rhubarb and strawbery pie. This recipe is really easy when you get the hang of it because you don't prebake the pastry or pre stew the fruit. You just bung it all together and bake it. There is something really unique about the flavour too - sour from the rhubarb, sweet from the berries and you throw some rice flour and sugar in with the fruit so you get a really nice texture in the fruit as well. And the pasrty isn't sweetened, but has a sprinkling of sugar on the glaze. Excuse me, I think I might have to go and have a slice of the left overs now!

Update: Kangaroo does not taste like chicken! It is a dark red meat like beef, but has a stronger more 'gamey' flavour. I think some may compare it to venison?? It has an almost zero fat content coz the little hoppers as so darn active and perhaps because of this is also low in pesticides and other chemicals. We usually just BBQ it with a marinade or rub of spices or soy and honey. It takes on other strong flavours well and is incredibly tender, much more so than beef. It is by far at its best when served rare.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

Lovely girl, beautiful dress (hang on, I'm almost channeling the Femmes!)... Thos finger puppets are a HOOT - how brilliant! And kangaroo meat is yummy and is the most pesticide free meat we can get.

Liesl said...

Love the dress! And Amy is a real cutie. Mmm, rhubarb. My favorite.

bugheart said...

what an adorable dress
and i love those finger puppets!
i wonder what
kangaroo meat tastes like-
chicken?
not something you that
can get here in the states.
i figure if you eat meat
you shouldn't discriminate
based on how cute they are!

krista said...

An incredible post, I don't know what to comment on first...
Love the puppets, they are so great.
And I have to admit, I cringe at the idea of kangaroo meat, but I am not normally closed minded when it comes to trying new foods so, I've decided when I come to your place for dinner, I'll give it ago. But I don't think that will be anytime soon.. so phew!
;)
The dessert looks DELISH!

Upstairs Downstairs Amber said...

I think rhubarb is MARVELOUS and that kangaroo meat is fine - and I have a funny story about the one time I ate it. My Mr. & I live in Brooklyn, NY, and we were visiting Europe. We stopped off first with a friend in Alsace (in the east of France) on our way to Berlin for Christmas. Our friend's mother picked us up from the train, and took us straight to a restaurant and ordered for all of us. She was so sorry she couldn't be our hostess for Christmas and she wanted to make sure we got a "real traditional Alsatian Christmas dinner." When the first course came, we saw that she wasn't having what we were having, and she explained that she had only ordered a small soup for herself because she is vegetarian and wasn't very hungry, but we were in for a big meal in several courses because she absolutely insisted that we had to have a "traditional Alsatian Christmas dinner." We chatted and ate and when it came to the meat course, we discussed it like all of the other courses, and asked her what the steak was - and she said "kangaroo." We'd been speaking with my Mr.'s broken French and my good German with her perfect French and broken German, so we'd already had many descriptions - this thing that we weren't sure about, it grows in the ground and you eat it in winter, and it's usually white... that sort of thing. Then she pops in with "kangaroo." "Kangaroo?" we said. Hop, hop? Yes, she tells us, like that, "hop hop, kangaroo." Right, we laughed, a long standing tradition in the east of France, from the herds of French kangaroos roaming the Alsatian vineyards, and important part of the "traditional Alsatian Christmas dinner." Naturally, they were just using it as a stand-in for beef, and it was quite tasty, though we still laugh about the traditional Alsatian kanagaroos.