Tuesday, 18 April 2006

does this look like a beaver to you?

in another stunning overstatement of my capability I agreed to make a beaver softie, despite living many thousands of kilometres from the narest beaver and never having laid eyes on one even once.

I agreed because I love a challenge. And perhaps because I'm an idiot.

So this is what I've come up with as my prototype. I am not super happy with it, but operating out of a position of almost total ignorance, what would I know?

Seems to me he should have a thicker neck and bigger head, perhaps smaller ears, definitely a black rather than brown face. Perhaps too his forearms should be longer?

Please tell me all those of you who know beavers - what's wrong with this beaver?

**Update - thanks for all the comments! Don't worry bugheart - I think he looks like a squirrel too!

All these comments are really interesting - there is quite a wide margin for perceptions of beaverishness, and several of them directly contradict photos I have! I have a photo of a pale brown beaver, and the head size seems really big in all the photos and not one photo where the teeth are visible! But that's the problem of creating softies from photos - they don't necessarily capture what make a beaver a beaver if you know what I mean. Clearly the teeth are a must have. And while lots of you called for a bigger tail, I can assure the one I put on is ENORMOUS - it's only my poor photography that makes it seem small. But don't worry I'll make it even huger. So I really thank you all for helping me out in getting this fella right!**

11 comments:

Liesl said...

I think he looks great! Just give him to big buck teeth sticking out of his mouth and you'll be all set. Very cute!

Liesl said...

that is, two. A little tired here...

suzy said...

That looks great! But I agree re: buck teeth. I have only ever seen cartoon beavers, but they always have big teeth...

Amy said...

It is really cute, but I didn't think "beaver" when I saw it. The teeth would help -- and a little chunkier, squat body... Mine would have ended up looking like a lamp or worse, so no criticsm here, you understand!

stephanie s said...

i am going to have to chime in with the teeth too, couple of nice front ones will do the trick...

-s

red swirl / ginevra said...

Never seen a beaver, but this little fellow is adorable!!

Rain said...

Beavers ears don't really stick out from their head, so I think the ears are giving a little bit of a funny look to it. If you want ears though, smaller would be better. The teeth don't have to be huge but they are important because it's a big beaver thing to chop down trees! I think I'd also make the tail a little larger, since it is also an important "beaver feature".

missm said...

he looks great! I would give him a crosshatched tail...ummm, like a waffle pattern. And buck teeth.

krista said...

Dam! He's cute the way he is... (heh-heh, get it....dam? I knew you wood! Har-har!)

bugheart said...

i dunno...
i think
he's cute as can be!
i have to admit
*blush*
i thought he
was a squirrel
at first.
beavers have
very small heads
relative to
their bodies
so you could mess
with proportions
but i think
you did a fantastic
job personally.
:)

leslie said...

i love the first attempt beaver! being a true canadian i have to agree that buck teeth are a must and making the tail out of a different, darker brown fabric with a sewn crosshatch would make him more beaver-ish. maybe some whiskers would help too? love him anyway, i see another trade coming...