Tuesday, 28 March 2006

quilts of yore

I've been meaning to post these for a while. I made both of these when Amy was born, and only pulled them out of storage this morning. Like lots of the things we packed away when we went to Thailand, they never re-appeared.

The first measures 2x1.5 m and was made for Amy's bed. It started from the ABC embroidered square my folks in law brought back from Vietnam. It was helped along when I got a pure wool doona offcut - that's wool batting already quilted to a cotton siding - for almost nothing.

Next I got a whole bunch of primary coloured cotton broadcloth remnants cheap and the rest, as they say, is history. It is tied rather than quilted as I figured if the batting was already fixed I would be fine. Having saud that I am very nervous about washing it and think I might have to consider quilting it now.

The square I love the most is the clothes line. I got the idea from a book which had a whole quilt of houses and clothes lines. 'Fraid I'm too darn lazy to do that.

The other is a play mat quilt made from wool suiting off cuts. Yep, I have suits in that purple, that pink, that black and that grey and pants in that blue! The batting is polar fleece and the quilting is in the ditch because I didn't know any better. Amy spent a lot of time lying on this as a baby and although the colours are a bit dark and sad for a wee one, it is lovely and soft on a naked belly.

2 comments:

Liesl said...

Hi Suzie, the new blog looks great! I'm glad you're finding your way, and I really like how nice and clean the new space is. Congrats!

Linda said...

I love the purple quilt!