Friday, 31 March 2006

busy-ness

I've been so busy playing web hot shot these last few weeks with the new blog and the opening of my online shop I have been a bit neglectful of my crafting and the outside world in general. So I have been busting my gut to get things moving.

I sent off not one, not two, but three swaps at the post office yesterday, and am hard at work on three more, plus a tote I am making for a friend. Whew. Amy has made me promise to make something for her as soon as I finish the current set of orders so I guess there will be a new prototype to think up as well.

The kitchen table is a disaster area and I can't even reach the sewing machine there's so much crap on the floor, so I need a major clean up as well.

But I had to grab the chance to make one more batch of these heavenly passionfruit shortbread biscuits before all the fruit was gone from the vine. I can't tell you how good they are - if anyone has a vine (or two like us) and has an abundance of fruit let me know and I will post the recipe.

I used them to impress Art, Oar and Wanee, our visitors from Thailand. A sufficiently cross cultural experience combined with the universal appeal of sweet treats. It's so wonderful having them here with us!

The recipe (for Krista and anyone else who wants it)

Briefly cream 180gm softened butter with a teaspoon of lemon zest and 100gm of pure icing sugar. Lightly mix in the pulp of 3 passionfruit, 100gm of sifted cornflour (not flour made from corn by refined wheat starch) and 180gm of sifted self-raising flour. Scrape the mixture into a piping bag and pipe rounds or fingers onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake at 220oC for 5-8 mins or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

When cold make icing from 50gm of softened butter 1 cup pure icing sugar and the pulp of 2 passionfruit. Mix ingredients and beat hard for 1-2 minutes over hot water until shiny. Dip biscuits in icing and let set.

The recipe comes from my cooking bible, The Cook's Companion, by Stephanie Alexander. If you don't have it I don't know how you run a kitchen. I use it at least once a week. Stephanie says the biscuits keep better if not iced, and should be iced on the day you intend to use them, but really they are so good that I always ice the lot and they are gone within a day or two and taste great.

3 comments:

krista said...

Hi again =D

I left a note regarding your cookies on your Flickr, but then I followed you over here, and I see that you may just be willing to share that recipe... of course I am here to say 'hi' too, not just hound you for your amazing cookies ;)
We don't have many fresh passionfruit vines available (you LUCKY gal!) but our supermarket produce sections do carry them in small quantities. Do you need many?
Keep sharing your wonderful bounty. I am so jealous.

Rosa said...

Hi Soozs,

I realy love your crafts!!!
Congratulations!!!

Rosa

Marianne said...

They look delicious!I'm a huge fan of shortbread and passionfruit - thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks like I'll have a tasty project for the weekend!